There are several moves you can make to protect yourself in the event of a fire. You can take out insurance to protect your home or business, you can practice fire safety drills with your family or employees, and you can even set up documented escape routes for others to see. However, what do you do when the fire has come and gone, and your insurance company is now refusing to cover the damage?
You bought that insurance for the sole purpose of protecting you in the event of an emergency, so why would the insurance company turn their back on you now? Well, it is common practice for an insurance company to try everything to avoid having to make a payment. They will even go so far as to accuse you of starting the fire yourself. If your insurance company is refusing to hold up their end of the contract, contact the offices of Keller, Melchiorre & Walsh today. We have seen this situation before and we are no strangers to standing up against those who refuse to do what is right. We will not stop until you receive the compensation you are entitled to for your fire damage claim.
Should I Get a Lawyer When I File a Fire Damage Claim?
Yes, go ahead and contact us today so that you can go into this process with good legal representation on your side. You should especially give us a call today if you are facing any complications while filing your claim, if your claim has been ignored, or if your claim has been denied. We will fight for your compensation whether your fire damage claim is new, pending, or denied.
What are Major Concerns with Fire Damage Claims?
Contact us today if you have questions regarding any of the following concerns:
- Smoke and ash damage
- Electrical fires
- Car fires
- Gas leaks
- Allegations of arson
- Electrical equipment
- Defective wiring
How Can a Lawyer Help Me With a Fire Damage Claim?
- We can help you assess your home or business to make sure you are including the correct amount of damage in your claim
- We can make sure you are compensated for any temporary living expenses should you need to relocate your family
- We will go after the maximum financial recovery for the damage
- We can figure out exactly who is responsible for specific repairs based on your homeowner's association or condominium association, if that applies to you
- We can help you find hidden damage that can lead to mold
- We can identify incorrect repair methods
- We can help you reopen a claim if new damage is found after the claim has been settled
Tips for Filing a Fire Damage Claim
- Consider asking for an advanced payment. It is routine for people to do this, especially if they have had to immediately relocate their families to another location or hotel. This early payment can help you avoid paying out of pocket for those immediate expenses you were never expecting to have. This money could be used to pay for food or replacement clothing that you and your family may need.
- Document your losses. Make a running list and continue to update it as something new comes to mind. You may be in shock for the first few days, so do not be surprised if you realize major things that need to be added to the list a week later. Take pictures of what you can.
- File your claim quickly. The faster you file your claim, the more urgent your message becomes. If you wait too long, the insurance company will use that wait time to question why you did not file the claim immediately. They will insinuate you did something wrong and that whatever damage you listed actually took place during your wait time. They will try every method to discredit your fire.
- Get estimates of the repairs. The insurance company will eventually send out their own adjuster to inspect the damage, but you should also hire your own inspectors so that you have a baseline to compare the insurance company's estimate. This is one of the best ways to know if the company is trying to take advantage of you or not.
- Continue paying your insurance premiums. Now is not the time to stop paying the premiums. You do not need additional conflict added to your claim, especially if you are struggling with getting the company to cover the damage.
Contact a Trusted Lawyer Today
You have already been through the ringer with your fire experience. Do not take on the task of going against an insurance company alone when you do not have to. Our mission is to provide legal representation for individuals who have been injured or experienced loss in the event of a fire. We are ready to provide exceptional legal service and advocate for the rights of our clients. Schedule a free, no obligation strategy session today to see how we can help you and your family. Contact us now at (561) 295-5825.